Camping club uk     

A free and friendly club

Camping Forums

Forum Home > General Chat > Help! All Batteries Flat

kevandmarg

Hi everyone, just wondered if anyone has had the same problem as me and got it sorted. I've had the motorhome parked in the driveway for over a week hooked up to mains. During that time the van battery & both leisure batteries have run down to virtually no charge. Mains is connected, charger light is on, and shows charging on the control panel. I first noticed the problem 2 weeks ago when the van wouldn't start after being parked on a DA meet for 2 nights & I had to get a jump start, although by the time we got home the batteries were charged. Anyone any ideas?

Kev

February 3, 2016 at 2:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

tommy
Site Owner
Have you checked to see if they are holding a charge the cold weather could of just done them in kev?
--
Http://Www.conservatoryroofsuk.com
February 3, 2016 at 3:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kevandmarg

I've just been back in the van, charger had switched to charging leisure batteries from van battery which is what should happen when van battery is fully charged. I switched charger off, leisure battery showing 10V van battery showing 0V on control panel. Switchedcharger back on to van battery for half hour then switched back to leisure battery. Put multi-meter on van battery after disconnecting & that shows 11V but won't start van so I've started charging with my car battery charger & I'll check again later.

February 4, 2016 at 3:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kevandmarg

Van battery now charged enough to start & showing 14.3V with engine running, leisure battery showing 13.3V. Turn off engine van battery showing 12.7V, leisure battery showing 12.2V. Switch on ehu with charger van battery still shows 12.7V, leisure battery shows 12.2V. Does this mean charger not working?

February 5, 2016 at 3:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

tommy
Site Owner
Sounds like it but im no expert so hopfuly someone can answer. Have you checked if theres an inline fuse that popped?
--
February 6, 2016 at 9:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kevandmarg

Taking van to Ashley at Pendle Caravan on Friday to see if he can sort it,

Kev

February 8, 2016 at 2:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dazid1

Had something similar with my van, sorted eventually by adding another earth to van and hab battery.

February 9, 2016 at 12:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dazid1

Is it a modern van Kev?

Mine was a 1997 at the time.

February 9, 2016 at 12:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kevandmarg

It's a 2012 Bessacarr on a Fiat Ducato.

February 9, 2016 at 2:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

tommy
Site Owner

kevandmarg at February 8, 2016 at 2:34 PM

Taking van to Ashley at Pendle Caravan on Friday to see if he can sort it,

Kev

That wont be cheap!
--
February 9, 2016 at 4:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kevandmarg

I know that Tommy but I can't stand seeing the van standind on the drive & not being able to use it but thanks for the concern. I'll take donations later:):)

Kev

February 10, 2016 at 7:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

daveangel
Administrator

Hope you get it sorted soon Kev, just got ours out today (first time since September) Leisure batteries were fine but van battery only just managed to start it. Phew

February 10, 2016 at 11:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Guy Lynes

A bit late to come in here, but what is the present status of this problem?  First reading suggests to me that the starter battery has gone high resistance either internally or externally. This would result in automatic charger sensing the starter battery as fully charged when it isn't, and switching over to the leisure one.  Chances are the starter battery has gone dry in one or more cells.  If so you may or may not be able to bring it back to life - depends on how bad it got!  There is no substitute for regular battery maintenance - including replenishing electrolyte before levels drop below plate tops, and checking specific gravity of electrolyte in each cell for variations between cells in the same battery.

I'd be intereted to know what the outcome here was.

Guy.

July 11, 2016 at 7:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.